Wednesday, March 6, 2013

THE NEW PLAN

I had two good appointments today. The gastroenterologist was awesome. I have the utmost respect for any physician who introduces himself with his first name. He was incredibly knowledgeable and encouraging and gave me a new "bowel management plan" or more aptly put, "poop protocol." It is easy, I have total control over tweaking it as I need to, and he just said he was sure we could have some victory over this chemo side effect. 

I told him that I really had already discovered a secret cure that I should share in a medical journal. We had four friends over for dinner last week and I made Mexican black bean & corn relish with lots of purple onions and cilantro, and Dick and I kept eating the remainder over a period of 3 days, and let me tell you, both of us were blown away by its laxative properties. I think the oncologists should share the recipe with all their constipated cancer patients!!! Dick thought it was a pain. I thought it was heavenly!!

My oncologist, who was very sympathetic over what I had endured for a month, was actually surprised that I would be willing to try the regular dosage of chemo again. He thought I might have just thrown in the towel. But I told him I am willing to give it another month with my new plan in place to avoid the deadly constipation, and we will go from there.

My hubbie took me to Taco Bell for dinner before we headed back home, and it was a good day all around.

No comments: