Saturday, August 27, 2011

THE FOG CLEARED

Missionary L.B. Cowman once went to America from China with a steamship captain who was a devoted Christian. When they were off the coast of Newfoundland, the captain said to him, " The last time I sailed here, which was five weeks ago, something happened that revolutionized my entire Christian life. And the captain told Cowman this story:


I had been on the bridge with fog for twenty-four straight hours when George Mueller of Bristol, England, who was a passenger on board, came to me and said, "Captain, I need to tell you that I must be in Quebec on Saturday afternoon."


"That's impossible," I replied.


"Very well," said Mueller, "if your ship cannot take me, God will find some other way, for I have never missed an engagement in 57 years. Let's go down to the chart-room to pray."


I looked at this man of of God and thought to myself, 'What lunatic asylum did he escape from? I had never encountered someone like this.' "Mr. Mueller," I said, "do you realize how dense the fog is?"


"No," he replied. "My eye is not on the dense fog but on the living God who controls every circumstance of my life."


Mueller then knelt down and prayed one of the most simple prayers I've ever heard. When he had finished, I started to pray but he put his hand on my shoulder and told me NOT to pray. He said, "First, you do not believe God will answer, and second, I BELIEVE HE HAS. Consequently, there is no need whatsoever for you to pray about it."


As I looked at him, he said, "Captain, I have known my Lord for 57 years, and there has never been even a single day that I have failed to get an audience with the King. Get up, Captain, and open the door, and you will see that the fog is gone."


I got up, and indeed the fog was gone. And on Saturday afternoon George Mueller was in Quebec for his meeting.




I will not be so presumptuous as to say that this is the way everyone should walk with cancer, but for ME, it is just that kind of belief that has been a necessity for me to walk with cancer.  I take God at His word, believe His promises about healing, and believe it is happening. I don't know when my "fog" will lift, but I have Mueller's same belief, and I am grateful for that faith.


I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me. Acts 27:25

1 comment:

Cole said...

Oh, Mary, that stirs up such inspiration for me! What a beautiful illustration. Thank you for sharing it to highlight the walk you're on with our Lord!!