Monday, August 26, 2013

LAST LEG OF THE JOURNEY

I just got home from moving a carload of stuff to Dordt. Sam's car left, equally loaded, a couple hours before me. With my load, we made 4 trips up 4 flights each, in 105 degree (heat index) heat. I was rewarded with a glass of cold water, and then took flight as friend after friend started coming in the guys' apartment (he lives with 5 buddies) to catch up. This was their time. They didn't need a mom hanging around. Though I would have engineered the unpacking and organizing of the place handily if they had wanted me to! Ha!!

Fourth and final trip moving our son to school. Fourth and final array of bittersweet feelings pouring over me as he drives away from home, and as I later drive away from the dorm. We have felt so great about the choice of school Sam made. We have felt so grateful for the quality of education he has had, the professors he has gotten close to, and the friends he has made at this fine Christian college.

I have no idea where 3 years have gone, but I have no doubt that this last year will fly by as well. He has a full credit load and 3 jobs. And in typical Sam-style, he will juggle and excel at all of it.

I have several friends who are, this fall, newly emptynesters. When the quiet in the house starts to pull on their heartstrings, they know who to call. I am a 3-year veteran.

Life moves forward, and I am expecting a great ride. Bring on Fall 2013!!



Note the duct tape on both sides of his book bag. That is the price of private college.
No new anything for 4 years......

One last "Love you, Mom"

One last going-back-to-school picture for the scrapbook....

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. ~ John Dewey


Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.  ~ David Frost


You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~ Dr. Suess


1 comment:

Cole said...

How exciting! His last year in college will be memorable, I'm sure, but must agree that with a full load and 3 jobs it will fly. I will be praying for him-for energy, endurance, wisdom, provision, and guidance along this wonderful journey!