Saturday, May 7, 2011

AN AMAZING YEAR AT DORDT

One of my most anguished moments was lived out on that hot muggy August day last fall when we took Sam to college. Seven days post-diagnosis, the three of us were all emotionally fragile to begin with. We sat in the freshman parents’ convocation and heard the words that repelled off my damp, wounded skin. “You will all be here in 4 years to see these young men and women graduate……”

Like shards of steel piercing away at the core of my heart, I just knew that not only would I not be around in 4 years to see Sam graduate, but that I likely would not be around to even see him through his freshman year. The pain was almost more than I could bear. Only my husband knows the details of that day, and there they shall stay. Suffice it to say, my heart was ripped to shreds by the time we drove in our driveway.

But by the grace and mercy of our almighty God, this was the scene in our driveway yesterday, 9 months later.



I am forever amazed at the extravagant love of my Savior who has allowed me to say these words: My boy is home, a sophomore.

3 comments:

Cole said...

Praise GOD and happy Mother's day!!!

Unknown said...

SO cool to see God's faithfulness! Was that already 9 months ago?!

Gretchen said...

Mary, you move me to tears. The picture of you and Sam in front of the van, freshly home from his first year of college is iconic and so so so happy. There is nothing better than coming home after your first year away! Yay! Happy day!