Monday, February 13, 2012

LIFE

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.   Job 1:21

My 45-year-old cousin Joe died last week. Because he had my same stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis, it is still hard for me to talk about or think about. I haven't called his family yet, because I can't. I would like to say he died after a long battle with the disease, but the fact is, he didn't have time to even pick up a sword and a shield. Like a category 5 hurricane, the cancer swept in without warning and took him in 7 weeks. Parents should never have to bury a child. Siblings should not have to bury their "little brother" at this young age. If I could have given Joe some of the months I have been given, I would have, in a heartbeat.

A new baby girl has arrived in our family. Eddison Elizabeth, daughter of my niece Anna and her husband Tim, was born a week ago. I am so glad she has arrived-----safe, healthy, and loved. A new life, fresh from God, is such a blessing. I can't wait to meet her.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary, you gave me so much as I struggled learning about Joe's diagnosis. Your phone calls, calming words, answers to my questions, all helped our family attempt to make sense of what we had ahead. Joe's time was cut far too short; that is for sure. I can say, though, many blessings happened in the short 7 weeks as he did the best he could with what was in store for him. I am heavy-hearted and miss him dearly.
I continue to pray for you - for healing for you! Your entire family has lifted me up in ways that words cannot express. Know you are in my heart. WIth all the love in the world,
Your cousin Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Mare. You will carry his sword and shield for him now! Draw more strength--fighting this battle now for BOTH of you! You are more than a conqueror through CHRIST who strengthens you!!!! luvuju!