Sunday, April 3, 2011

ONCOLOGY CONSULT

I will be consulting with another oncologist on Friday up in Sioux Falls. When I spoke with my insurance’s case manager, I asked her about them paying for a consult at some larger cancer center across the country. She said she preferred that I get a consult in SF first, and then if they feel that I could benefit from some treatment being given elsewhere, they can refer me and the insurance would pay for it. Dick and I want to make sure we have considered all options in my care.

I am looking forward to meeting this SF oncologist. The sister-in-law of a friend of mine works as an oncology nurse in SF, and I called her to “screen” the various doctors they have at one of the cancer centers there. When I told her I would really like to talk with someone who is into holistic mind-body-spirit approaches to cancer along with medical approaches, and someone who is a Christian and someone who knows lung cancer, she immediately said, “I think I know a good match for you. He fits all your criteria, plus he is very knowledgeable about clinical trials across the country.” So….I will let you know how it goes!

***

I get my staples out tomorrow morning. Sure hope that the soreness around my wound starts to ease up once they are out. Lesson learned: when about to faint, lay the heck down and don’t try any more heroics. And I will have the scar to remind me of that!!



No comments: