Tuesday, October 5, 2010

ONE DOWN, FIVE TO GO

#1 is OVER!! Chemo went very well. The infusion center was really comfortable. Very spacious room with wood floors and a fireplace, comfy recliners in private curtained areas spaced far apart, your own TV, family chairs, and super-nice infusion nurses. This first time I was hooked up for almost 3 hours. Next time they will be adding a dose of Zometa (for my bones) which will add another 1/2 hour, but still very manageable time-wise.

D studied lecture notes and listened to Spanish tapes (he is going to the Dominican Republic in March to supervise PT students from USD and Creighton and treat patients). I spent time reading my Bible and devotional and then took out my MP3 player and went through some very good guided imagery/affirmation podcasts that Anna sent me from Kaiser. I finished out the treatment with some Allison Krause, The Canadian Tenors, and Selah......and it was time to (literally) RUN to the bathroom before I left a trail across the floor. It was worse than the worst pregnancy-induced urgency you've ever had. I should have taken a break half-way through, but didn't need to go then, but boy oh boy, I learned my lesson!!

The first set of side effects, if I have them, will start tomorrow and last 3-4 days. The next set will appear days 7-10 and this is when my white and red blood counts, as well as my platelets could plummet, requiring more shots, and a possible hold on the next chemo treatment. As the doctor was telling me this, I was saying to myself, but you don't know my God.....I believe He will protect those cells and that any dips will be minor.

I will be taking anti-nausea drugs prophylactically starting in the morning, so I am hoping that will keep me eating for the next few days! I actually would welcome the side effect of fatigue. I had to take powerful steroids yesterday, today and tomorrow, and they do not let you sleep! I got only 3 hours last night and a 50-minute nap this afternoon. It is likely that the next 2 nights will be sleep-free as well. This is to be expected on this drug. By Thursday I hope I can crash. I think tonight I will just stay up til 4 and read rather than toss and turn in bed:)

Your prayers were feathers on my back today. Thank you so much for praying. The day went so much better than I ever thought it would. God is so good.

Psalm 107:19 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent forth His word and HEALED them, and rescued them from the grave. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love.

2 comments:

Cole said...

I will certainly be singing God's praises for a good first day of chemo and be praying for lack of bad side effects going forward.

SO thankful to hear today went (relatively) well!

Unknown said...

:) :) :)

Read this yesterday but was unable to comment.

so happy.