Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TWO DOWN, FOUR TO GO

Round two went off without a hitch. Well, that's not technically true. The med tech tried two different times to hit a vein for my blood draw and she didn't know what she was doing. Thankfully, she called on a "higher-up" who got it right away. For someone who hates needles, it was not a pleasant 10 minutes. But the infusion went well. SO FAR, and we are only 8 hours out, the new drug is not wreaking any havoc. The 3 hours of infusion was probably the most relaxed I've been all week. A warmed blanket, my Scriptures to read, my MP3 player with soft music.....hmmmmm.

My little corner by the fireplace


My uber-nice infusion nurse, Nancy


The fireplace next to my chair

My oncologist mentioned how much she liked my "She's A Fighter" shirt twice during my time with her. She even wanted to know the brand!! (Thanks again, Peg)

I got a whole 3 hours of sleep on my steroids last night, and tonight will most likely be worse than that. I may have to spring-clean the basement all night for something to do! No, it did not get done in the spring.

Last treatment, my tough days were 3-5. We'll see if that is true again or if it really is not a pattern after all. Maybe each treatment is different.

D drove over after teaching his 3-hour class today.....thanks to my friend Lynette who gave me a ride over, and it worked out that she had errands to do there anyway. D and I decided that after 2 trial runs where I have had him with me, we both think I can go it alone in the future. I am neither sick nor drowsy after chemo, so there is really no reason for him to go with me and spend 4 hours sitting in chairs (which he will lovingly do again if I want him to). But I say, I can do this! I am woman, hear me roar!

OK, so I am generally not a person who opens up her Bible believing that what you open to is what God has for you that day. I know people who do believe this. But today, just before Lynette picked me up, I grabbed my Bible and opened it and it fell to Jeremiah 46. I am thinking, oh, maybe not. But then my eyes dropped on these verses and they were amazing for today's chemo preparation. Another wonderful healing Scripture for me!

Prepare your shields, both large and small,
Harness the horses, mount the steeds,
Take your positions with helmets on!
Polish your spears,
Put on your armor!
What do I see?
They (I insert cancer cells) are terrified!
They are retreating,
They are defeated.
They flee in haste without looking back
and there is terror on every side!

Why will your warriors (cancer cells) be laid low?
They cannot stand, for the Lord will push them down.
They will stumble repeatedly; they will fall over each other.

v 3-5,15

It was so powerful and I used that visualization while I closed my eyes in my chair. I unwaveringly believe that God is doing just that.....defeating those cells, pushing them down, making them retreat.

Boatloads of thanks for all the prayers today. I viscerally feel the protection of God while I sit in infusion and it is because of all of you lifting me up.

5 comments:

Cole said...

Wonderful!!! I prayed for you so many times today, I am thankful to know things went well. As welll as can be expected. =)

Will pray for a lack of side effects and the energy to keep fighting with everything God gives you each an every day.

Unknown said...

Wow. Just, wow. Tears fill my eyes as I write this, as I think of the redeeming work God is doing in and through you. It's 6:19 in the morning and I couldn't sleep with thoughts of you, so if that doesn't make sense, forgive me.

M, you have come SO far. Reading your entries now and your entries before, well, it's like reading things from an entirely different person.

PRAISE GOD!

I too believe that those cancer cells are being obliterated.

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgive me for being spottier on my comments...you are NEVER, and I mean NEVER, far from my heart!

Anonymous said...

You are a total rock star and I love you so much! I knew you'd do great again yesterday. Tell Auntie and Nanny to give you great big hugs for me. We love you so so so much!!!!
Annie, Tim & Will

Anonymous said...

Mar, Glad everything went well, and today my dear CELEBRATE cuz it is our Birthdays !!! I am hoping yours is a wonderful one! I am wishing you many many many more !
You continue to ALWAYS be in my thoughts and prayers.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend
Jo

Anonymous said...

Mary, your/God's bible selection for you could not have been more perfect for this day & the next. Visualizing it during infusion keeps it alive & blessing your healing. God is with you.
Hugs, Pat D.