Monday, October 25, 2010

THIS AND THAT

I took my first dose of steroids this morning in prep for tomorrow's chemo, and already, after 1/2 hour, my cheeks are reddened and puffy. I should look great by tonight :)

So....this is a housekeeping detail, but one I wanted to include here. SO many of you have told me that you have wanted to comment on my blog but have not been able to. I even tried it myself on the library's computer to see if I could do it and could not. My niece Rachel solved the problem by telling me I had to change a blog setting to enable "anonymous"  people (people who don't have blogs themselves or people who don't have a gmail email) to leave comments.

I changed that setting and now it works! So, you need to click on comments at the end of my posting, and scroll down to the comment box. Where it says choose a profile you want to scroll down to ANONYMOUS. This means that if you want me to know who you are, please sign your name at the end of your comment. After you write your comment, click on post comment. A series of letters will come up that you will have to write in a box, then click on post comment again. It's easy now that the blog author knows what she is doing!!

If you have a gmail email address, you can choose the Google profile, and they will ask you for your user name and password. Ignore the other profiles!

Look what the cat dragged in Saturday night....



It was so great seeing Sam. He came home after commentating his first Dordt College hockey game on Saturday afternoon. We listened on the webcast and he did a great job. Soon he will start broadcasting the JV basketball games. He went back after an early dinner in order to watch the Vikes game with a bunch of his buddies who are all Packer fans. Would have loved to have been a mouse in THAT corner!

Speaking of eating earlier yesterday, friends Jeanne and Duane brought us such a delicious dinner last night. Cajun chicken and pasta and a bowl of fresh steamed veggies (at least 5 different veggies). We have enough for at least 1 and maybe 2 more meals this week, which is such a blessing when I won't feel much like cooking. Jeanne and Duane, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. It was great!!

Specific prayer requests for Round #2 of chemo:

1) That the new drug they are adding to the chemo cocktail would not present any of the side effects that it can cause (fever, chills, headaches, jaw necrosis).

2) That once again, God would protect my healthy cells from the toxicity and that He would target the drugs onto the cancer cells.

3) That with my 3/4 dose of steroids, I would feel a bit less jittery, that I might get a couple hours of sleep each night (at least) and that the steroid crashing on days 3 and 4 would be lessened.

4) That nausea could be controlled with my 2 anti-nausea drugs.

5) That God might use me to encourage someone else in the infusion room tomorrow.

6) That Mom and Margie would have a safe trip to Vermillion on Friday.

Thank you so much in advance for lifting me in prayer as we head into round two. I am so humbled by so many praying. We will be 1/3 done with chemo treatments by 2:00 tomrrow!! I do not have any fear of the unknown anymore, which is nice. Unless I react differently this time or react to the new drug, I pretty much know what to expect and when. I feel so bathed in love and prayer.....to say thanks is so inadequate.


Let the weak say, "I am strong."   Joel 3:10

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will be praying....
Oh, WOW! Does Sam look like you! Love it! Aren't college sons wonderful?! Luv them to pieces, don't we!?!?!? Julie

Anonymous said...

Mary, You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.
You and Sam look so much alike ! Such beautiful smiles !
Love you Mar
Jo

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of you and Sam.I remember him as a darling little boy.Now he is a darling young man.Prayers for you on your next round of chemo...Love Kay

Becca said...

We're praying for you right across town! Love hearing your positive comments!

Cole said...

You have been in my prayers for a milder reaction to the steroids AND for the upcoming chemo session! I was imagining the chemo blasting those nasty cancer cells away with sound effects like my 5 y.o. son uses when he plays with his dart gun. =)

Unknown said...

LOVE what the cat dragged in! :) God knows JUST what we need, JUST when we need it, doesn't He? Yesterday I had the opportunity to pray with a lady who is going through cancer treatments at the table behind me. I overheard her conversation and walked over to her and said, "Can I pray for you?" She started to cry. It was just so cool to be a part of that!

God orchestrates it all!!!!! all!